Pencil Shavings

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Kool-aid for Christian groups

I bumped into the director at the lift landing mid-way through a very large gaping yawn, and he said, "Had a late night?" And at precise moment, I thought that I had better either take my coffee before I leave the house, or come to work earlier to drink my shot.

Shucks, guess I can't apply to be a Mormon.

American Mormons drink a lot of Kool-Aid and eat a lot of ice-cream at their college parties, since they can't have caffeine or alcohol. When I was in college involved in an inter-denominational evangelical group, we had a lot of kool-aid too, that bright red drink that drove the minister's wife nuts because the students would spill it on her white carpet. Heh. Kool-aid + college kids (regardless of denomination) + white carpet = inevitable disaster.

And since we are on the topic of Kool-aid and Christian denominations, here is a joke my dad told me the other day.

A preacher was preaching in a Baptist church and in the middle of his sermon, he asked, "How many here are Baptists?" Everyone raised their hands, except for an elderly lady in the front row.

So he asked her, "What is your denomination, Madam?"

She said, "Methodist".

So he asked, "Why are you a Methodist?"

She said, "Because my great-grandfather was a Methodist, my grandfather was a Methodist, my father was a Methodist, and so I am a Methodist."

The Baptist preacher thought for a moments and teased her, "So if your great-grandfather was a moron, your grandfather was a moron, and your father was a moron, what does that make you?"

Without skipping a beat, the elderly lady replied, "Baptist".

1 comment:

Jim Jannotti said...

Heh heh. That's good.