Pencil Shavings

Friday, March 10, 2006

(: Smiling like an idiot :)

Han's is my favourite restaurant in Singapore!

I love everything about it: the variety of food, the outdoor seating at the Central Library branch, the happy balance between self-service and service, the price, the taste, everything. Some restaurants, in a bid to focus on their niche, cut their menu down to a few core dishes of a certain genre. Not Han's. You can find everything there, from Western set meals like Chicken Chop (better than their fish and chips) to Chinese favourites like Hor Fan to sandwiches (good deal) to hamburgers (try the yummy superburger!) to pasta (increasingly popular), and get this, it is all good.

They do all things well!

On the way to work this morning, I stopped by the Central Library to return a few books and decided to stop by Han's for breakfast. For $4.50, I bought their breakfast set called "Scrambled egg bacon". For the same price I could also have bought "Scrambled egg ham", or "Scrambled egg sausage", or "Fried egg bacon", or "Fried egg ham", or "Fried egg sausage", you get the idea. I collected my coffee with milk and sugar and sat down to wait for the food.

When the food came, it looked ordinary: a lump of egg, 4 half pieces of toast with butter, and two strips of bacon. But when I first bit into the egg, it was heavenly. I'm not sure what they put in their egg; there must be some cheese in it or something, because it melted in my mouth. The toast was perfect -- not too hard, and the bacon excellent too. I ate the bacon lock, stock and barrel, fat and all. As far as the bacon goes, it is just hard to find anywhere that would serve you real bacon (as opposed to turkey bacon like Burger King) now that a lot of restaurants are going the Halal route. This must be the first time I'm having bacon in years.

The best thing? It is served on a real plate. Needless to say, I smiled like an idiot all the way to work.

No comments: