Pencil Shavings

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Lake Toba

laketoba_pan

On a clear day, the water is blue.

On our way out of Lake Toba, we stopped by the side of the road to take this picture. It was a misty, drizzling day, and the water looked grey, blending into the sky. Our hosts tried to describe how blue it looks on a clear day. But it looked good enough for me that day.

We passed by monkeys by the side of the road, and bulls and goats too. Our Korean friends said, "Like safari!" It was cute. I forget how Southeast Asia looks to those used to modern cities.

The road was bumpy and windy. My friend threw up at some point along the way, and we stopped by the road again, leaving the bag of puke by the side of the road. "It is a free country," my hosts said at some other point in the trip. There wouldn't be a rubbish bin for miles.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The last time I went to Lake Toba I was 9. I remembered the bumpy drive up, the serenity at the top, the steaming corn-on-the-cob from a roadside stall and a wonderful stayover at one of the chalets.

=)

mis_nomer said...

All of my friends who have gone to Lake Toba went a really long time ago too. It must have been popular then. Didn't see the steaming corn-on-the-cob though. Just the monkeys. :)