Pencil Shavings

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Protected CDs: a step forward or back?

I got one of those fancy copyright-protected CDs and I can actually do less with it than a CD I bought five years ago.

1. I have to use the player the CD comes bundled with. Neither iTunes nor Windows Media Player would recognise the CD.

2. I can only burn the disc three times.

3. To burn the disc, I can only use Windows Media Player.

4. And not just any old Windows Media Player, but only the latest version which I have to download from the Microsoft site.

It is my music and my iPod!

5 comments:

mis_nomer said...

And I was wondering if I was the only one who felt that way about it... ;)

Anonymous said...

You are not the only one.

It makes me so angry that I must refrain from commenting lest I make Eric's comments look hopelessly tame.

mis_nomer said...

I feel a little sorry for consumers in the US sometimes. They are the most law-abiding regarding piracy, but are the ones who get slapped with the most restrictive measures. The irony of this whole matter is that the fella who is producing thousands of pirated CDs in China/Indonesia/wherever probably knows how to get around the "burn disc three times" limitation.

Sivasothi said...

I haven't even gotten over region coding in DVDs, and this is much worse!

mis_nomer said...

Region coding in DVDs in today's globalised world is a joke!