Pencil Shavings

Monday, July 09, 2007

Google Pedometer

I am always on a quest to calculate the distance of my runs. When I was still on a PC, I found the perfect solution to measuring distance in MapEdit. It was offline, fast and fairly easy to use once you figure out the GPS-centric instructions.

But since I've moved to the Mac, I've lost my trusty distance calculator of choice. MapEdit does not load on a Mac. I've been much too lazy to use the PC in the living room or map-and-string, so I've been estimating the distance of my runs based on the time.

But no more! I'm so happy with my discovery I'm surprised I could start this post with such a level and factual tone. I want to dance on the tabletop because GOOGLE PEDOMETER NOW HAS A SINGAPORE MAP! I blogged about Google Pedometer in August 2005 (Gosh, was it that long ago?) and back then, only the US maps were loaded up.


Google Pedometer is very easy to use. Just click "Start Recording" on the left of the page. (See purple arrow on pic on left.) The button will change to say "Recording..." Then double-click to add the first point of your route, adding subsequent check points in the same way. Easy-peasy eh? :)

Google Pedometer even gives a running tally of the distance logged so you can say, "Ah! So I did hit the wall at 5km!"

This is a lovely 6.6km run I did recently to the fabled Lower Pierce that I've been neglecting to add to my running log because I did not know how far I ran. Like I said earlier, NOT ANY MORE! Whoohooo! Dance with me now! :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats pretty cool, though it seems to not register my waypoint at times leh. i still like using the ruler tool in google earth. but this route saving option is nice.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I can't register my waypoints either, but I think it is because I am not used to double-clicking..

Ruler tool on Google Earth? Got streetdirectory?

Anonymous said...

Streetdirectory, meaning street map...

Anonymous said...

got... quite steady liao. but dunno why jurong's always foggy.