Pencil Shavings

Sunday, July 01, 2007

My inbox: Still on Getting Things Done


The last time I read Getting Things Done by David Allen, I implemented the digital side of things. I set up iCal and Address Book; Mail Act-on, Mail Tags, Smart Folders and Action Folders for Apple Mail; and organised by to-do list into contexts.

Now I'm tackling the physical-side of things.

I just got a gorgeous brown inbox to collect all the bits and pieces that float into my life. It is gorgeous. The lid is hinged and the interior is lined in black. Looking at it makes me happy. In the picture, it is the large box on the left.

I also got magazine holders to organise my bits of paper alphabetically. Currently I have a single ring file with my important documents, preferring to throw away things I don't need, for example brochures, receipts and notes, but I'm thinking that it may be useful to hold on to these things for a while.

We'll see how it goes. :)

[Curious—do ya'll have inboxes? Can I see them?]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a lovely attache box full of useless formerly floating pieces of paper (with equally useless stuff written on them). The beautiful box sits, along with a lot of other stuff, inside a rather pedestrian looking cardboard box in my bedroom.

Moving that cardboard box from bedroom to attic has been on my to do list for over a year.

Gwynne said...

At my office, I have an "outbox" but no "inbox." I thought this was the answer to stress, but perhaps I need an "inbox" also.

At home, my "inbox" is a metal mesh basket that hangs on the side of my metal cookbook shelves in the kitchen. Right now, it is overflowing and making be feel stressed...perhaps I should attend to it. :-)

Gwynne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.