Pencil Shavings

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Having problems with Bluetooth File Exchange

I'm worried. Bluetooth file exchange between my Sony Ericcson k618i and Macbook suddenly konked out.

An attempt to browse my phone results in a "The last operation failed: bad request" error. Attempting to send a file from my phone to the oompa-loompa-koomputer results in "An error occurred while saving the file. The file being sent to you could not be saved on your disk. Perhaps the receive folder is located on a locked volume. Try changing the destination folder and trying again."

I am starting to realise that I am so much more confident (and successful) in troubleshooting a Windows system rather than an Apple system. Where is system restore when I need it? What exactly is a "destination folder" or a "locked volume"? I've removed the battery of both devices and rebooted to no avail.

Another piece in this puzzle is that in the midst of this iSyncing problem, my iCal seems to have become corrupted. I have problems quitting the application. Should I reinstall? Would it help? How in the world do I reinstall an application? I feel so helpless.

I just don't understand a Mac as well as I do a Windows. When my Windows suddenly requires a shutdown, I usually know whether it is a problem with the application or the hardware (e.g. not enough RAM, hard disk space, etc.). My Mac has got its logicboard changed, but twice in the last two weeks, it has shut down on me again unexpectedly, and I don't know what is wrong. I still don't know why I lost my entire Address Book last month.

I'm not used to this helplessness. I need to sync with my phone. I need my calendar and my to-do list in my pocket — it is my other (perhaps, only) brain.

I may do a complete re-install of my OS. It is a bit of a sledgehammer solution, but even more than I need my calendar in my pocket, I need to conquer my oompa-loompa-koomputer.

---------------

Found the problem. I had a corrupt iCal backup that took up 36GB of space and maxed out my hard drive. Deleting the offending file freed up enough space for iSync to work. However, iCal on my system is still cranky, refusing to quit. Still working through this....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try repairing permissions.

Disk Utility > Verify disk permissions/Repair disk permissions.

Anonymous said...

"Destination folder", in this case, is the folder that the file is going to be saved on; for Bluetooth transfers, I believe it is the user's desktop.

"Locked volume" sounds most likely to be a problem with disk permissions; for some reason, the Bluetooth File Exchange app does not have the permission to write to your hard disk. See if a disk permissions repair will fix it.

mis_nomer said...

Thanks tet.. I did repair permissions. It found one error..

Anonymous said...

I had the same problem and I found the solution: it turned out to be one of the files i was sending over bluetooth (i was sending my cell phone contacts to back them up) had a a smiley face in it (the characters ":)" - colon, parentheses.

As it turns out OS X doesn't like the ":" colon character in file names. It would've been nice if the bluetooth error message (same one you guys are getting) would've mentioned that. But check out the files you are actually trying to send and make sure they don't have any odd characters in them, cause it'll be a problem.

Anonymous said...

Old post, but I must say that I had the same problem. The transfer was between a Palm Treo and my Macbook. The file I was sending had "/" in it. Once I got rid of those backslashes it worked.