Pencil Shavings

Friday, July 13, 2007

On pronouns

Alright, now that we've talked about the different types of nouns, let's look a little more closely at pronouns.

Pronouns are defined as words that takes the place of a noun. Instead of writing: "Mis_nomer is an exciting wonderful blogger! Mis_nomer blogs about grammar all day long!" You could write: "Mis_nomer is an exciting wonderful blogger! She blogs about grammar all day long!"

"She" takes the place of "Mis_nomer", a proper noun, and hence is a pronoun.

Now, there are different types of pronouns. I've categorised them under "Person", "Thing" and "In-between". (Ok, no laughing about the "in-between" category.) Take a look at this diagram.


Here's a quick run-through on what each means.

Personal: I, She, He, You
Possessive: Mine, Hers, Theirs
Reflexive: Myself, Herself, Themselves

Demonstrative: This is ludicrous!
Interrogative: What in the world are you talking about?
Relative: This is the blog that became boring and died a natural death.

Indefinite: Everybody, Anybody, Somebody, Someone, Everyone

I remember my nouns and pronouns with this mnemonic: I go to N.C.C. to do P.T.I. (Don't ask me what the "I" in the P.T.I stands for 'cos I don't know.)

Tomorrow we'll do adjectives!

[Get the book.]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember the demonstrative pronouns by thinking of a demonstration - they're the ones you can use while pointing: this, that, these, those.

This is fun!

Can we bicker in the comments about when to use "which" and when to use "that" in a dependent clause?

mis_nomer said...

Gosh you know your grammar Brian. I'm impressed! I didn't learn a lick of grammar while I was in school.

About "which" and "that", hold your seat, it will come. :)

Anonymous said...

I *love* grammar. It's kind of a hobby, if that's at all possible... I'm having fun reading along with these!

mis_nomer said...

You *love* grammar? Heehee. I think it is so cool that I actually have people reading these grammar posts!