Pencil Shavings

Sunday, July 29, 2007

My Singtel broadband plan is only 226k?



Check your broadband speed here.

Strange, isn't it, that I'm getting 226k when I'm paying for a 1Mbps plan?

I recently downgraded from a 3Mbps plan to a 1Mbps so that I could save $13 a month. That $13 a month was my latte factor, since I could easily get by without that extra 2Mbps in speed. (Now if I can squirrel that $13 away before spending it on something even more frivolous, like March of the Wooden Soldiers or something.)

But I felt the drag and so I was curious about the speed I was getting, so I went to check it out on CNET's site and it told me that I was chugging along at the half the speed of a 512k. Hmm.. strange, isn't it?

5 comments:

Alvin said...

i using http://www.speedtest.net/ to test my broadband speed. Do try it. I recontract mine with a 1 Mbps plan. Hee

mis_nomer said...

That clocked me in at 503kbps (download) and 136kbps (upload). That's a pretty fancy-lookin' site. The effects are spectacular!

I recontracted mine with a 1Mbps plan too. But the site hung in the midst of recontracting so I'm not sure if it worked. I had better not still be paying $43 for the miserable speed I'm getting!

What speed do you clock?

Alvin said...

Believe it or not. I got a whopping 1 Mbps (download), my real download speed is around 100-120 kB/s which is what I'm paying for. That means when you download a file from a good server (website), you should get something like mine.

mis_nomer said...

Okay, I'm a bit confused. You are paying for 100-200kb/s? Is that what it means when you have a 1Mbps plan? Confused!

Alvin said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_device_bandwidths#Local_area_network

Please follow the website above, look at Ethernet Experimental 3 Mb/s, the real speed you can achieved is only 0.375 MB/s. There's a difference in Bits and Bytes.
Hence, 1 Mb/s ($ingnet's Plan) is approximately 0.1 MB/s (or 100 kB/s)