Pencil Shavings

Monday, July 30, 2007

STOP PRESS! REGION-FREE MACBOOK!!!!

Region madness no more! There is a solution!!!

I don't know whether it is because of the latest version of VLC (release 0.8.6c) or if it is because of Mac OS X 10.4.9 (check out the comment in this forum), but, dang it dang it dang it, it works!!!!!

VLC played my region 1 and region 3 one after the other without a hitch! Afraid that it only worked because it changed the region coding of my supposedly unflashable MATSHITA DVD-R drive, I loaded up DVD player and inserted a disk of the "wrong" region, and I was relieved to find out that I still had all 4 changes to make.

Oh my goodness, I need to celebrate....

Steps:
1. Download the latest version of VLC (release 0.8.6c), and/ or
2. Do a software update (Apple > Software Update)

[Aside: your computer may start crashing after updating to 10.4.10. If so, download the airport extreme update here.]

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

steady lah. i try now.

Anonymous said...

Doesn't work for me... :(

Sivasothi said...

How interesting! I was reading that same tread on Sunday in order to understand why my Intel Mac Mini was unable to play a region 3 DVD.

Shrugged my shoulders then and used an iBook instead.

Must try this out soon; thanks!

mis_nomer said...

Billy and Siv, let me know if it works, k?

Tet, I'm sorry it didn't work for you.. The thing is, I've no idea why it should work. I almost think that the next time I try, it would stop working..

Anonymous said...

when I read the Developers presentation of Leapord I thought that there was one comment about overcomming the region coding. Just wondered if steves been traveling lately and decided it ticked him off, and there was no law requiring region coding.