Pencil Shavings

Friday, July 27, 2007

While I was walking from the train station today, I had the brief thought that an eternity of non-existence is more desirable, or at the very least, more plausible than an eternity of happiness. Why do we think that God owes us happiness? Those who believe in heaven go around brandishing their right to be happy, their right to a happy ending. But what are we, really, except mortal breath caught in dust?

I'm worried that I'm becoming too much of a realist. Faith, hope and love elude me. I cannot believe in what I cannot perceive. When I passed out after giving blood quite a few years ago, for that fifteen minutes, I was nowhere. I had no consciousness, no spirit, no soul. What makes me think that I should have an eternal soul?

My dad's hair is thinning. I see a patch of baldness beginning in the centre of his head, extending outwards, the way we rot from the inside out, given enough time. And I am scared.

2 comments:

Gwynne said...

Been reading Plato lately, have you? ;-) Faith would not be Faith if you could fully perceive it. Hang on. This too shall pass. ;-)

Alvin said...

A blind man comes along, you know he can't see. And he has to rely on his senses to help him move about. He has this great amount of trust on his senses to help on carry on his life. This is the faith he's carrying around.

When he transfer his trust from his blindness to his senses, it helped him alot better.