Pencil Shavings

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

One day in the life of a 'cher

I make it a point not to talk about work, but sometimes I break my own rule.

Today I was peeved. Three students didn't show up for class and I had to go hunt them down 20 minutes after class started. When I barged into the hall where they were monkeying about playing badminton, they scurried like cockroaches. I marched them back to the classroom, where they subsequently started doing everything to irritate me. They were thirsty (of course) and transfered water between water bottles, spilling water everywhere; they sat in the wrong places; they merrily unwrapped lollipops and ate them; one boy sat with his pants down at his ankles because he was hot. (He did have shorts underneath.)

Gracious. Sometimes patience only goes so far.

But two of the boys in class were sweet. They saw me fuming at the back of the class and said to me, "'cher, you very qi gei, is it?" (qi gei means frustrated in Hokkien.)

I nodded and said, "Yes."

"Come, we ask you question so you won't be so qi gei." And they got out of their chairs and walked towards me to ask how to write their compositions.

Sweet little things.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, you'll only appreciate the good if you see the bad. =D how old are your students by the way? ~milktea

mis_nomer said...

Fifteen years old. :)