Pencil Shavings

Monday, August 28, 2006

Books

This is long overdue. The day Jim posted this list, I looked up the books in the online catalogue, trooped down to the library, and got the book that made him laugh and the book that made him cry. From the sentence above, I wouldn't blame you if you thought that I was interested in him in that sensitive, new-age "who are you really, inside?" kinda way, but really, even if you were interested in him in that funky way, I don't think reading these two books will help much. You'll probably have to read though a little library, read the bible cover-to-cover at least five times, AND watch an entire series of Veggie Tales to get close to the answer. Anyway, back to the books.


Shopgirl by Steve Martin is entertaining. It is an old-fashioned story about love that doesn't say anything new, yet manages to take you by surprise with its comedy. The characters remain with you. I found myself trying to determine the most efficient way to juggle my errands when I suddenly realised that I was exactly like Ray Porter.






Plainsong by Kent Haruf came with the recommendation of Eric as well. I was afraid of crying so I read it very slowly and hesitantly, pausing frequently in the lilting story because I did not want to get too caught up.

I didn't cry after all. But I was won over by the two crusty bachelors in the novel. They were described in such an endearing and sweet way that it made me chuckle, and then melt.

Plainsong celebrates the role of community in a stark, harsh world. It manages to be both realistic yet idealistic, depressing yet optimistic. The story-telling is simple, and the flow seamless.

This is a good book. It is worth the read. :)

4 comments:

Jim Jannotti said...

Stalker!

:-)

Having considered it for some time, I think Plainsong is a book that makes men cry but perhaps not so much women.

The scene from the book that did it is the one about two thirds to three quarters through when the girl returns to the crusty old bachelor farmers. Her open hearted repentance and their open hearted grace was simply stunning to me.

I think a female might read that scene as well as the rest of the book with different "eyes," though I'm guessing about that.

Jim Jannotti said...

Oh, and another thing! I've only read the Bible through three times. What do you think I am, crazy?

Anonymous said...

have you seen the movie shopgirl as well? it was a bit weird.

mis_nomer said...

That scene was very sweet I have to say. The part that got to me was when the two crusty bachelors went shopping for a crib. Their extravagence and concern in their bumbly bachelor way was very touching.

So I think you may be right, the parts that get to men may be different from the parts that get to women. A lot of women want to be taken care of, maybe?

Regarding the Bible thing, Jim, I think you're crazy anyway, and Eric, you're crazier than Jim above. :) Btw, which plan do you use? I've only done it once or twice through in college, and haven't been able to stick with it since starting work. I'm deathly afraid that I'm losing my respect for the document but I know that if I don't start reading it consistently, the more unfounded my opinions will become. I'm afraid of becoming who I'm becoming, if you know what I mean.

b, no, I didn't watch the movie. Why was it weird? Was it at least funny?