Pencil Shavings

Monday, August 21, 2006

My sick comp

My sick comp

I've been wrestling with my computer at home all weekend long but its still persists in hanging like a pertulent petulant child. I've done everything I can. I've uninstalled practically all my RAM-guzzling programmes, defragmented, scanned for viruses, vaulted, deleted, restarted, tried to do a `system restore'; but because of a series of unfortunate events (such as the comp not being able read data CDs, or recognise an external drive so that I can backup my stuff for a reformat, or stay alive long enough for me to do anything), I now have:

1. One incomplete setup of a Taiwanese Windows Pro Installation that means that everytime I turn on the computer, I need to hit escape repeatedly otherwise I will see a screen in traditional Chinese asking me something I do not know. At that point I only know that I should hit F3, F3, ESC ESC ESC ESC ESC ESC ESC, and choose Windows Professional instead.

Help.

Last night I dreamt that my English Literature teacher in Junior College, who is British mind you, marked my work in Chinese and at the end of the paper, I had to do practical criticism on a Chinese passage that started with a thrice-repeated refrain of "yi ge, yi ge, yi ge". And I thought in my dream, "That really ought to be significant," but I couldn't for the life of me figure out why.

2. Infinite re-boots. Infinite patience. I'm taking disciples if you are interested. My training is simple: swap your computer with mine.

6 comments:

smudgi3 said...

Mine just makes one loud beep, followed by weird gurgling sounds. Now it's just sitting there looking pretty (the dusty, goth look is in) while I tap away on my dad's laptop. I so can't bear to throw it away. But I want a new Sony Vaio more. So there.

Anonymous said...

what on earth is pertulant??

mis_nomer said...

Smudgi3,your comp sounds worse off than mine. :)

Smole, sorry, spelling error.

colinrt said...

mn: how old is your com?... perhaps it is time to put it down for good and get a new one...

it may be as simple as the hard disk crashing, or something more fundamental, like one of the circuits burning out...

either way, time to shell out some cash in a major way... unless you're into building your own from scratch... sounds from your account you have sufficient tenacity to do it too... :-)

mis_nomer said...

My comp is probably four, four and a half years old. I don't think I'll get a new one yet -- I'm just too cheap and I'm determined to get at least another year or two out of this one. Besides, even if I do get a new one, I still have to get it fixed so at least my parents can use it...

As you can see, I am still rather optimistic. :) I'm hoping it is just a software conflict or a windows foul-up and a good ole reformat would solve all my problems. I hope! :)

Alvin said...

it's this kind of age that the computer will start to hang and some hiccups. Save a copy of your impt data first.

for myself, I usually do a reformat. save most time instead of troubleshooting.