Pencil Shavings

Thursday, August 17, 2006

The Constant Gardener



The Constant Gardener
is described on the cover as a "suspense thriller" with an "unforgettable ending".

When my buddy recited that to me from memory, I burst out laughing because it sounded so strange. An `unforgettable ending' is the kind of phrase that doesn't say very much. Why was it unforgettable? Was it poignant? Was it hilarious? Was there a twist? Was it impacting? The phrase is also not effective because it negates a negative term, making it only neutral at best, apologetic at worst. So it was not forgettable, is that really something worth mentioning?

Anyway, The Constant Gardener was a suspense thriller in the British-kinda way, i.e. without the Hollywood adrenaline-pumping car chases and spectacular explosions we've all become used to. The suspense in this movie is pulled forward only by its plot, slowly and persistently towards its "unforgettable ending".

It is an alright show. A lot of it is set in Africa, so the backdrop is colourful and the music full of drums. In any case, it rescued me from the tedium of a weekday night.

Category: Reading

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Fiennes. Nevermind that he looks like s*** on the cover. I must watch it. What would you rate it out of 5?

mis_nomer said...

He is kinda cute in a serious, deadpan way, which makes his smiles so much more endearing.. :)

I don't know what to rate it.. Either 3 or 4.. I have to admit I wasn't paying full attention the whole time, and it is the kind of movie that requires a bit of concentration to catch all the dialogue.

Anonymous said...

Exactly right - "serious, deadpan way". ;-p

Aha, most others who've watched it do agree that it needs a bit of concentrating. One of those 'gotta take me seriously' adult movies I suppose.

mis_nomer said...

erm, did you really mean `adult movie'? :)

Anonymous said...

Ha! No. Not that sort of 'adult' movie... I meant the sort that takes itself very seriously. The sort that Fiennes constantly stars in.

Anonymous said...

actually it is based on something real and scary going on in african and indian pharmaceuticals. do you really know what is in that pill you're taking?

colinrt said...

mn/elle: well, i think he's over-rated... *green with jealousy*

smole: it depends... the red pill or the blue... ;)

Anonymous said...

Ahaha! Colin, damn it all! I miss chatting with you. See, I'm communicating this via Misnomer's blog of all things!

mis_nomer said...

TOT and Elle, pls go ahead and talk. I think I may set up a shoutbox just for the two of you. Heh! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry:( It won't happen again. And stop being so nice!;)

mis_nomer said...

Hey, I actually *like* people having conversations on my blog you know, not kidding! I think it is cool when people respond to one another and not just me to each one separately.. It makes it feel more like community. (Okay I'll shut up now.)

Besides I like evesdropping. :) (especially when TOT is green with envy)