Pencil Shavings

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

On the tip of my tongue

There are so many things I wish I could say aloud but I can't, so I repeat what I can over and over again, until my friends both real and virtual get tired of me regurgitating my shallow theoretical thoughts, as if that is all to me.

So I spew my nonsense -- I tell you about Gizmo Project, about the book I just read, about my latest gadget fetish -- while I watch you tear and struggle with loneliness, desire and disappointment, or watch you smile with the joy of having someone, as if I don't feel it too.

I wish I could tell you.

5 comments:

smudgi3 said...

sometimes, it's not the words that matter, but your silent existence. Some people just wanna be heard, or read, and by your acknowledgement, though unsaid, of our loneliness or joy, we've accomplished our duty, and so have you.

Anonymous said...

Why can't you say it?

Because you may not or because you will not?

Because you should not or shall not?

Because there are no words or too many words?

How does the story about Einstein and the fish go? Two brilliant scientists are on a bridge and neither speaks the other's language. One points to the water and says, "fish" and the other one says, "Yah, fish."

mis_nomer said...

smudgi3, I know what you mean. When it comes to listening, being quiet is actually better than rambling on and on about your own experience. :)

joan, because I may not, I should not and I dare not; because in this case, words are not enough. I will need to find the "fish" in all my conversations. :) I like your analogies.

smudgi3 said...

Well said, Eric.

Canopy said...

I know of a poem that seems to express this sentiment, I've put it here:
http://canopyfoil.blogspot.com/2006/08/why-my-comment-thing-says-fold-bird.html