Pencil Shavings

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

this is not forever

The human psyche is a funny thing. I work at this job as if i am going to be here forever: being bored with my work, taking my time with projects, drinking coffee and wasting time, thinking I have to bear with certain colleagues forever. This is in spite of the fact that I have taken small steps towards finding a new job. It is as if there is a disconnect between both bits of my life, and when I am at work, I don't realise that this is not forever.

Same way with life. Some of us have made plans for when we are gone: we write wills, book niches and think about our children. But we live as if that day will never come! We think life is a bore; we are full of regrets, wondering what life would be like if we hadn't done this or chosen this or had done well in school or were making more money... We want money as if we will always need it. We are frustrated with the idiosyncracies of our family and friends, and say stuff like, "You are always like that," as if always will stretch into eternity.

It is in Ecclesiastes that Solomon writes that God has placed "eternity in the hearts of men". I wonder if that is the origin of the disillusion that even though there is irrefutable evidence gathered over many centuries that someday we will die, we think that when it comes to us, death will pass us by and we will ride like Elijah in a chariot of fire. I don't think so.

I really have to make more effort at smiling and being cheerful at work and at home, and put my darnest best into what I do, because this is my one shot at life, because this is not forever.

2 comments:

colinrt said...

this news story ties in to your post in a tenuous way... however, it talks of women who are comfortable with technology... which reminded me of you very much...

Apparently "forever" has been over-rated

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Diamonds are no longer a girl's best friend, according to a new U.S. study that found three of four women would prefer a new plasma TV to a diamond necklace.

... the technology gender gap has virtually closed with the majority of women snapping up new technology and using it easily....

... given the choice, women would opt for tech items rather than luxury items like jewelry or vacations...

... over the next five years women see themselves increasing their activities in six tech areas: digital cameras, cell phones, e-mail, camera phones, text messaging and instant messaging...


i had also written a reply to your post but had second thoughts after reading it myself... too preachy sounding... :-P

mis_nomer said...

You're right, that article is so me. I would rather have a new computer than go on a holiday any day. :) A computer is so tangible and.. powerful.

What was your original comment? Do you have a closet preacher in you? ;) You can preach at me all you want you know..