Pencil Shavings

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Is this what growing old is like?

I met J down her block today. She was reading a book and I was cycling home, and so we sat on a bench for a while to chill out before dinner. Then she told me that she has a lump on her throat and that they tested it and it was found to be cancerous and that the surgery is on thursday.

God.

Is this what growing old is like?

I've prayed for J for as long as I remember. Long, angst-filled prayers where I struggled and bargained with God, fuelled by my rigid, evangelical notions. How does a person live with such notions of heaven, hell and eternity without becoming completely insane? I don't know.

This thursday. The doctors say optimistic things. I believe them. I will still pray.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

God, what a difference a vowel can make. If only you had witten "my friend had a lump IN her throat" ... as in, she's feeling too emotional. But the letter "O"... ON her throat. Oh, dear.
I'm so sorry.

mis_nomer said...

True. I wish I had written the latter too. But it isn't too bad -- the doctor did say that if you were to get a tumour, this would be best kind to get, and that she'll probably die from something else altogether. :) Doctors are funny people. Ironic, but reassuring.

Anonymous said...

I had a lousy experience quite recently too. I had to go for an ultrasound scan and all that - like I was a freakin' pregnant single mother! There was this weird pain at my pelvic area and the doctors just freaked me out. I thought it might be cancer, etc., but heck it was nothing and I almost scared myself to death...

I'm going to pray for your friend too. Please update if she's better.