Pencil Shavings

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Among the office drones

Today my mother persuaded me to go for a free 1hr aerobics-kickboxing-stretching class right smack in the field at Raffles Place at lunch time. It was slightly embarrassing and very hot. I thought it was ironical that I should come home from Krabi burn-free thanks to my dedication to Hamilton sun block in the aftermath of the Bali burn, only to stand for an hour in the noon-time sun, kicking and stepping and stretching and without any sunblock to speak of.

It was hot.

But the best part of the lesson was clapping for the instructor at the end, collecting the goodie bag and going to get a refreshing cup of lime juice. Rubbing elbows with the office drones, all dressed up in their crisp clothes and their office passes hanging around their necks, made me feel very lucky that all I wasn't on lunch hour. All I had waiting for me was a cool afternoon at home with a comic book and maybe a bit of internet.

I haven't been to Shenton Way during office hours for so long that sometimes I just had to stop and stare. There is a "Sales and Marketing" building right by Tanjong Pagar MRT with full panel glass windows and a wax figurine sitting on a step outside the building. Inside were all these trim and immaculately dressed men and women having a meeting. I said to my mum, "They look so fake!" And she said, "They are wax figurines!" And then I looked back and saw one of the guys scratching his chin. And I almost believed her too.

At least I will never be mistaken for a wax figurine. ;)

No comments: