Pencil Shavings

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

The English Teacher by R. K. Narayan

[Aside: I'm blogging like it is work. But my memory is like a leaky cauldron and I'm afraid that if I don't pin it down with words, I'll lose it forever. So I soldier on...]

Narayan writes like Dickens. His characters are so eccentric and his descriptions so colourful that the people and the town take a life of their own. I'm pleasantly surprised by this novel. I wasn't expecting very much because the blurb at the back of the book sounded boring: "After (some tragic event), main character comes to realise what he really wants to do, and makes a decision that will change his life forever." Erm, okay, whatever you say Mr. Blurb-writer.

But the novel was really quite good. The blurb also made me place way too much emphasis on (some tragic event) when it really isn't about (some tragic event) but about stuff like life, death, happiness, and fear. It is a deeply Hindu book actually, teaching about the importance of letting go of earthly distractions, a calm inner life, being one with nature and the important things in life. It is practically impossible to talk about this novel without a Hindu framework.

Think I will check out his other work Malgudi Days when I'm done bulldozing through the books on my table.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think malgudi days is the one i read. it's short excerpts from a village everyday life. i liked it cos it was sad and funny at the same time a lot.

Anonymous said...

[Ok, last comment of the day. Have to save more of your posts for later!]

Did you read any more RKNs? He is (was?) one of India's most prolific writers. I think I read another one called The Financial Expert. "Gentle humour" is probably the one phrase I'd say characterises his writing best.

mis_nomer said...

Hey, thanks for taking the time to read, M. It's flattering to be read.

No I haven't read any more R.K. Narayan since this novel. "Gentle humour" is a good way to describe his writing. I will have to read more by him when I find some time!

Anonymous said...

> Hey, thanks for taking the time to read, M. It's flattering to be read.

Yes, it is, but that's not why I'm doing it! I just like reading your stuff.