Pencil Shavings

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Me & my fancy premium membership

I am now a paying member of the National Library and I am proud of it.

If saying so makes me appear eccentric and geeky, I say, "Bring it on!" I love the Library. I would wear a huge button on my shirt declaring my love if it came down to it.

It has practically everything I want, from old newspapers to How-to books, from Runner's World to The Sandman Series. I can check the catalogue online and even make suggestions to the library about what I would like them to buy! I receive an email reminder 3 days before my book is due, and something I've taken for granted... I can return my books at any branch! But the best thing about the library is that every one can borrow four books, no matter whether you are rich or poor, smart or dumb.

The Library is a great example of what good you can do if you just have a little vision and a sizeable budget. Not everything is better privatized! I feel like yelling that from my high-rise HDB window. I hope it will always stay true to its vision, or at least my vision of what a Library should be.

----
Update: Know what's funny? When I went to the Library this week, I noticed that they had started a "I Love my Library" campaign: I feel so prophetic. Though I have to say that actually having printed stickers makes me less inclined about wanting to wear a button. The human mind is strange and rebellious.

3 comments:

Gwynne said...

I am an avid believer also!

Anonymous said...

National Library? Explain, please. :) (stshores24 at gmail dot com)

mis_nomer said...

Hi Stephen. I'm not very sure what you would like me to explain but I'll have a go anyway. :)

I was talking about the National Library in Singapore. It is a pretty cool library. Membership is free for Singapore citizens, which means that you can borrow four books without even having to register. Premium membership costs US$15 a year and lets you take out 8 items each time, including DVDs, CDs, music scores, etc.

Our Library is not afraid of technology. I would like to think that it is cutting-edge in having the catalogue online, free wireless, free lockers, up-to-date and wide ranging collection of books, and a willingness to take recommendations from the public. I mean, our library actually has a blog. Few government or quasi-government institutions are willing to release such control.

My vision is that a Library should be a place for everyone. There should be something there for the housewife, the student, the young adult, the retiree, because knowledge and literacy is important. Learning is for life. The Library should also always be free. And that's about it. :)