Pencil Shavings

Saturday, March 03, 2007

Getting Things Done by David Allen



I had a bit of a to-do list bloat so I was looking online for a way to nest or organise my to-do items and I kept coming across this mysterious acronym that seems to have taken Lifehacker, 43 folders, Hawkwings by storm. In addition to the ubiquitous GTD, there is kGTD (kinkless GTD) and all kinds of tools that are run on the GTD philosophy.

Curious, I went to the library to get the book and flipped through it.

Much of it is common sense drilled into me every week for four years by my Secondary School Principal ("Make sure you have a workspace at home where you have everything you need at hand: pens, pencils, rulers, blah"), some I think may be useful in managing workflow (such as the "NextAction" idea), and others just don't cut it for me (e.g. the tickler file).

Maybe I'll appreciate it better when I have more work to do. I've installed Mail Act-on and Mail Tags which work like a charm, but seriously, I don't have enough volume right now to warrant all this fancy tagging and project naming.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i got one of those GTD books and before i read it i lent it to a friend. one tip i remember from it was something like this: even if you only have 2 minutes to do something, you can still get stuff done. like you can clear off the table or put something away.

well, that doesn't seem like much, it's so obvious, but now i find if i am just waiting i will think to myself, i've got 2 minutes, what can i get done in 2 minutes and then i will start doing it.


(beulahland) brenda
http://dejavisite.wordpress.com/

Gwynne said...

Where is the trash can in all of this? I love to get things done by throwing things away. ;-)

mis_nomer said...

Brenda.. What? You spent your 2 minutes posting a reply? Heehee. Well, I'm spending my 2 minutes replying yours. :)

Gwynne, hahaha! You're right, the trash can is pivotal in getting things done. Heh.

Sivasothi said...

I've been trying to figure this out as well. A better system is needed when there are more things to juggle.

I've adopted a paper diary until I sort out my synchronisation though!

mis_nomer said...

Can't go wrong with paper. :)