Pencil Shavings

Monday, March 19, 2007

A weekend in words

I know I'm being a prick, but shouldn't there be an apostrophe in
"Teachers Network"?

Went for an invigorating jog at MacRitchie yesterday evening. I had
forgotten how much I love running at MacRitchie. It wasn't too long
ago when I went there to take photos but somehow the sun looks more
glorious when it sets in rhythm with pounding footsteps and rushing
adrenaline. I swear it really does look better that way.

Certain colours evoke certain emotions. There is rage red, peace
green, happy yellow. For me, that particular shade of orange
reflected by the ripples in the water evokes nothing short of inner
calm. It is practically an equation.

I'm at Teachers Network (It gives me much angst to type that without
the apostrophe). It is a strange feeling because I started my
Secondary School life here in this building too—running around a
track in the old Raffles Institution to see if I would qualify for
track and field. The tarmac track looks the same; the football field
looks the same; sixteen years hasn't changed much of the surrounding:
only the people get older.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

An apostrophe isn't needed I think because "Teachers" is used as an adj rather than a possessive noun. My 1-cent's worth.

mis_nomer said...

Hmm. Then it should be "Teacher Network", no? I'm perfectly ok with the singular version as well.

Gwynne said...

I think it's because network is a verb rather than a noun. Just my cent. ;-)