Pencil Shavings

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

This post will self-destruct

I'm having a shitty day at work. Disgruntled colleague decides to c.c. big boss because he is not happy with a situation (which has since been resolved), and so now the big boss wants to have a "meeting" to make sure everyone knows the "ground rules". Shit lah. Seriously, you should not c.c. emails in the middle of a thread. Not happy, tell me to my face lah! Still not happy, then tell the big boss!

Lesson learnt: know who is picky about what and keep them informed about EVERYTHING, including the colour of the technical boy's underpants, if need be.

Accomplished: my first assertive (and almost sarcastic) email to the big boss and disgruntled colleague.

Arrgh. This is why you neither know my name, or my place of employment, or my job. If you do, please don't breathe a word. Nevertheless, this email is a figment of your imagination and will self-destruct in 24 hours.

3 comments:

Jim Jannotti said...

Yesterday while on my route, someone came close to hitting me. They sped up behind me as I was about to turn around to deliver the other side of the road. She had no turn signals on and was passing me in a no passing zone. I had my flashers on plus a strobe flashing on top of my car. She swore at me and drove off.

A minute later, she pulled up alongside of my car and started screaming at me, you know, about how it was all my fault. All I said was "I'm sorry," and she drove off, flipping me the one finger salute as she did.

I figured she'd call the post office and I'd catch hell when I returned, but that didn't happen. Yet.

Why is it that some people are never happy until they get to slap someone else in the face?

colinrt said...

one thing i learnt in all my working years is this:

under no circumstances send anything that can be mildly misconstrued or misrepresented in an email to a superior or a colleague who's got an axe to grind... especially if what needs to be communicated can be done face to face or via a telephone...

things written down have a way of coming back and biting one in the posterior... imho... particularly in the hands of idle people, ambitious colleagues, and the plainly moronic and stupid who'll cc every one in the office and his uncle...

only put into writing what you want the world to know... eg. send a message to your boss if you're still in the office at 9.30pm... no matter how trivial... it shows how hard you're being worked...

alternatively, always cc your boss so that he's in the loop already... and no one can gain an advantage by sending it to him... ass covered...

mis_nomer said...

Jim, what a nasty horrible vindictive woman. You know, I think that even after "slapping someone in the face", they are never truly happy. I hope you will never meet the likes of her again..

Colin, thanks for the advice. I think I may put your c.c. everything to the boss thing to practice, though it seems to me that it defeats the purpose of putting me in charge if he has to read all these trivial emails anyway? Aiyah, whatever lah. It is matter of knowing who has an axe to grind actually and tip toeing around them carefully. :)

Am feeling better in any case, though I still wish it was Friday. :)