Pencil Shavings

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Two-Nine on Maundy Thursday

I woke up this morning and thought: "I am twenty-nine."

It isn't the kind of thought that makes you want to jump out of bed and embrace the day with a big smile, but I got up anyway, brushed my teeth, got myself a coffee and some cream biscuits, sat down and looked out of the window, and in that quiet space, thanked God for another year of life, a year sustained by grace and mercy.

Then I walked out of my room and promptly lost my cool about the mess in the house, the parents and how they want me to be married, the lack of control I have over my dad's bills, the apparent lack of control over my life, etc. etc. etc.

You just can't contain life. :)

11 comments:

Gwynne said...

Well, Happy Birthday!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Happy 29th. The big 30 beckons, ay?

It isn't the kind of thought that makes you want to jump out of bed and embrace the day with a big smile... I identify with this bit...

Anonymous said...

happy birthday. :)

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday!! :)

- carine

colinrt said...

happy belated... may the year ahead be the best one yet...

a word of advice from someone who was 29 more than a decade ago...

don't stress out on the small stuff... it ain't worth it...

don't worry about control... it's an illusion... no one truly has control over one's life, ever... way too many exogenous variables that can blindside one...

be content within the moment... live each day to the max... you can't rewind time passed doing nothing... or worrying over nothing... so might as well live it well...

mis_nomer said...

Thank you thank you! :D

smudgi3 said...

Happy Birthday!!

That reminds me of the time when I turned 21. I sat in my room and stoned for awhile. Seems like after 21, life changes gears.

Renohtaram said...

????! ??????,??,????!

Jim Jannotti said...

Sorry to be late to the party... happy birthday!

mis_nomer said...

Reno, you'll have to speak in English. ;) But I'll take it on good faith that you're sending birthday wishes.

Colin, thanks for your wise words. Especially the bit about control. I would be a happier person if I could be more content about each moment.

Smudgi3, 21 was a watershed for you? I have a feeling 30 would be mine. ;) But who knows, not quite there yet. My 21st passed by without fanfare.

Jim, you're never late for any party.

Tetanus, but we've got to keep getting out of bed anyway eh? ;) Wish you the best in your life.

Anonymous said...

Ack I missed the party.... Best wishes you sexy 29 year old:)