Pencil Shavings

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

YTF?

Yong tau foo

Or perhaps you were thinking of something more philosophical?

Yong tau foo is probably one of the healthiest meals you can get at a food court in Singapore. You choose a minumum of 7 pieces from a selection of tofu, ladies finger lady's finger (okra), all kinds of green vegetables like kang kong (water convolvulus), xiao bai cai, cabbage, cuttlefish, tau kee, tau kwa, tau pok (all tofu derivatives), fishballs, green chilli with fish in it, etc. etc. Then you choose whether you want noodles (what kind?) with your selection, and if you want it in soup or dry. It tastes best with the the sweet and spicy dip, but that makes it that much less healthy. Yum!

7 comments:

mis_nomer said...

Erm, I think cuttlefish is firmer than either squid or octopus. It is brown while squid is white. Hey, if you wanna, I'll send you a small pack of dried cuttlefish as a snack. It tastes nothing like the fresh thing, but it's a start. :) onemillionafterthoughts at gmail com

smudgi3 said...

sorry for doing this but it's Lady's Finger. =P

mis_nomer said...

Whoops :) Lady's finger is commonly known as okra.

Canopy said...

The health factor is probably why the YTF (thanks for the acronym) stall in NUS is said to be patronised mainly by girls.

Jim Jannotti said...

Real men eat healthy food. That looks terrific. Can you send me some? I don't know what combination I'd like best, but it would definitely include the green chilis!

I've never heard Okra referred to as Lady's Finger before. Over here Ladyfingers are little sponge cakes shaped like, well, like fat fingers.

A couple of those would just about ruin YTF I think.

mis_nomer said...

Canopy -- I agree. The queue at any YTF stall usually comprises of women. Rather interesting actually, that YTF is a girl-thing.

Jim -- I'll send you some dried cuttlefish if you wanna, heck, I'll send anyone dried cuttlefish if you email me your address. ('cept Singaporeans 'cos you can get your own dried cuttlefish at your own mama shop.) But I don't think I should send the YTF... The postman will not be very happy with me. :)

Ladyfingers are sponge cakes? Could have that on the side.

mis_nomer said...

Ooh. I like fried okra. Never heard of pickled okra though. So it tastes like a pickle, just slimier?