Pencil Shavings

Monday, February 05, 2007

The Sandman, A Game of You, Vol 5



In the afterword, Neil Gaiman says:

I spent more than half a year with Barbie and Wanda and Hazel and Foxglove and Wilkinson and Thessaly and the rest of them wandering around in my head.

Some nights I still miss them.
I kinda miss them too.

This is a thought-provoking series that I can't quite wrap my mind around yet. Barbie has stopped dreaming and the land of her dreams is dying, and she needs to go save it. But the boundary between the dream world and the "real" world is non-distinct. In fact, Gaiman suggests that they occupy the same space.

It is about gender and identity, names and perception, with an ending that is both sad and curious. I don't suppose I can say any more than that.

To Wilkinson! All seventeen of them!

No comments: