Pencil Shavings

Thursday, February 22, 2007

On the rocks

Working on a powerpoint on a Mac is driving me up the wall. What usually takes me 5 seconds takes me 5 minutes. It is very frustrating.

  1. The text is too small. In fact, all the text in a Mac is too small. Am I that old already?
  2. Scrolling is TOO SLOW! Oh gosh, I get irritated every time I have to scroll. The speed of my mouse and trackpad is already set to the fastest in System Preferences.
  3. In fact, every thing moves too slowly in Powerpoint. Moving a text box, or anything is slow. Dang it, I have 1GB RAM! It ought to move faster than that!
  4. When I paste something into powerpoint, that paste option button doesn't show up and I can't for the life of me figure out how to paste it with the new formatting. I am not happy.
  5. I don't have photoshop. I cannot cope with having to go through three steps in Seashore just to rotate a simple picture.* Or not knowing how to get a colour's exact RGB**. Or not being able to right-click to save an embedded picture.
  6. Burning a CD or bypassing the region settings on DVD just ain't that easy anymore.
  7. And I miss my 5.1 speakers.


* My ignorance. To rotate image, go to Image>Transform rather than Layer>Rotate and you won't have the extra step of resizing the canvas after rotation.

** Use the colour sampler tool in the toolbar. It looks EXACTLY like the tool in photoshop, unlike the crop tool (bottom row, right), which looks like a scalpel.

***To invert an image in Seashore, Selection>Effects>Colour>Invert.

****Seashore has won back my affection. For now.

7 comments:

Alvin said...

I got frustated when I can't import a CD into mp3. I tried for 10 min and couldn't get it done. I gave up trying and called for help in the end.

Sivasothi said...

Photo editing with Graphic Converter?

Sivasothi said...

Keynote! Keynote!

Hopfeully Office 2008 won't suck so much...

mis_nomer said...

MOFW, it took me a while to figure that one out too!

Sivasothi, I didn't realise it will be this bad! No wonder Mac folks don't like Powerpoint! It runs so slow on a Mac. It is actually very decent on a Windows machine, capable of creating really good stuff, once you've figured it out. Meanwhile, I will see if I can fix this scrolling problem cos it is driving me nuts.

Thanks for the link to Graphic Converter. :) I'll check it out.

Sivasothi said...

Wait until you try heavy-duty manipulation on Excel!

BTW, about the Entourage versus Mail debate, I forgot to mention that Mail 3 on Leopard promises much more.

Of course you'll have to compare it with Entourage 2008 but if you are starting out, Mail's seamless integration with other services is attractive.

mis_nomer said...

I am very sad. Excel was the primary reason I bought the Microsoft Office Suite. Maybe I can get used to this.

On the Mail vs. Entourage front, I've decided to use Apple Mail because I really like Address Book. And you're right, I like the way iCal, Address Book and Mail are integrated with each other. Although Mail.app has less bells and whistles than Entourage, it responds faster on my machine, and I am growing to like the "clean uncluttered look".

Btw, I appreciate your comments and advice!

Anonymous said...

Keynote is a definite must-buy. Wait till the next version of iLife hits the shelves.