Pencil Shavings

Monday, February 19, 2007

Sending SMS directly from Quicksilver

Theoretically this should work. But it doesn't work for me, unless I'm willing to pay Mobileone 10.5 cents for each SMS I receive that is sent via email. But the idea of it is so cool that I'm putting it down here anyway, just in case you use a service provider that is better than mine.

Source: Mac OS X Hints

  1. Launch Quicksilver(Ctrl-Spacebar)
  2. Hit the "." button to enter the text input mode, and enter the person's cell phone number that will go to the cell provider's email gateway, and hit enter. For instance, for Cingular users it is nnnnnnnnnn@cingularme.com. A close-to-exhaustive list of provider email gateways can be found here.
  3. In the second box, type in a few letters until you get to Email Item (Send Directly).
  4. Now, in the last box, use the text input method again (".") and type in your messsage.
Considering that M1 only earns money when I use my M1 mobile number to send an SMS and never when I receive an SMS, I don't see what difference it makes to them whether it was sent from a mobile phone or from email. I'm sure I'm not grasping the implications of M1 letting me receive SMSes from email free, but ppppth. I'm just sulking some.

(It works with my sis! I send it to XXXXXXXXXXX@mobile.mycingular.com. To ensure there is no duplicate text, start your message with option-enter. I saved the email under her contact in Address Book so I can pull it out with Quicksilver.)

No comments: