Pencil Shavings

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Who else is hungry this CNY?

I am always hungry during Chinese New Year. I think I get hungry in anticipation of all the shops being closed and the larder being empty.

4pm, today. This is a picture of all the shops being closed.



I went to visit my friend's mum in hospital today. The ward was practically emptied out. Smole told me that two days ago, the day before New Year's Eve, it was somewhat crazy with half of the relatives wanting to take the sick person home, with the other half wanting to leave them in. So Smole had to explain to the family of the possible-meningitis patient that the patient really ought to remain in the hospital, and persuade the one with a small bedsore that she really ought to go home. Sometimes I forget that health care is an inexact science.

Meanwhile, my neighbour is burning up a storm for his ancestors. There is ash everywhere.

1 comment:

Alvin said...

I still think that some food stalls really exploit during the 2-3 days of CNY Public Holidays.