Pencil Shavings

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Where food and gifts equal something else

My last day is tomorrow, but I will be coming back to the office on Thursday and Friday anyway, just because there aren't enough days to fit in everyone who wants to take me out for lunch. Imagine that! I've been taken out for possibly one week straight already: Teochew food (Mong Hing Teochew Restaurant––Excellent. I must bring my family: Mum is Teochew), Russian food (Shashlik at Far East Shopping Centre––best borscht I've had), Western set lunches, office-cooked steamboat, Thai beef Kway Tiao and everything in between.

I've gotten unbelievable presents too. A $100 Adidas watch and a Pierre Cardin wallet with two dollars in it, so that my wallet will always be full.

Sigh. Everyone has been too good to me.

And because of all this activity, it still hasn't sunk in that I will soon have to give up this large office room with a view, this quiet place where, in spite of the natural grouses and office crankiness, is still very safe.

I think I am sad.

1 comment:

Gwynne said...

I'm sorry you are sad. I pray much good awaits! It sounds like you will leave in your wake a trail of good friends who may always be with you in spirit if not daily contact and that is a huge blessing!! :-)