Pencil Shavings

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The best western food money can buy

Is found at Ang Mo Kio Central S11.

For $7, I had the Sirloin Steak which came with coleslaw, baked beans, french fries and a piece of garlic bread. Every bite of the succulent steak sent me to seventh heaven. This steak had practically no gravy, but it was so well-marinated that every piece oozed with taste and tenderness. I ordered it "ban shou" (auntie gave me two choices: "shou" or "ban shou", i.e. well-done or medium) and it was perfect! Pink in the middle and slightly crusty brown on top. Ooh... Can I go back there again tonight?

My doctor friend says that is too much meat to eat in one day 'cos you are supposed to consume only a palm-sized amount of meat, while the serving at Ang Mo Kio was palm-plus-fingers-sized. My doctor friend also tells me that the rich rind of fat is not good for my heart, but I know that if I wasn't so concerned about grossing my doctor friend out, I would have eaten the entire rind, lock stock and barrel. But I didn't and now my dear rind of sizzling fat is being eaten by a stray cat somewhere. Boohoo.

The chicken chop is really good too, by the way, and it costs $5.50. You can get your chicken chop with spagetti for $6 and lamb chops for $6.50. They sell fish and chips too but I didn't check the price because I am not into fish. All the above comes with the best sides you can get at a hawker centre. The coleslaw and beans were not watery and the garlic bread awesome. The only thing that wasn't worth gushing about were the french fries, which were just okay.

I love the Hainanese people!

9 comments:

smudgi3 said...

what a coincidence! I just saw a food channel on steaks and was just craving for some when I read your post. It's been a long time since I actually ate beef (i've been consciously avoiding it), but it's just so hard to find a place that serves juicy and digestable steaks. Ang Mo Kio is so far away...

mis_nomer said...

I know what you mean. I suppose you could always go to Jack's Place. Their lunch special is decently priced and their outlets are everywhere..

Anonymous said...

And where iin AMK is this?

I know in AMK there is this pretty good coffee shop with famous crabs...

Anonymous said...

Opps. Missed the first line of your post!

mis_nomer said...

I miss the first line of my post all the time because it is all squished against the title. :)

mis_nomer said...

Oh oh, the shop selling the famous crabs in AMK is owned by my friend's uncle. :) Heh. I love having connections.

Anonymous said...

Do you have the address for it? The butter crabs are to die for...creamy, buttery, deep fried.

As far as I know, there are 2 shops...but the one I went to was the one further in.

mis_nomer said...

titania, no i don't have the address, sorry. it is the one by the carpark and near the temporary NTUC, so it may not be the one you are talking about. It is in the coffeeshop where they sell "orginal Aussie Fish and Chips".

Eric - you realise you just contridicted yourself in your comment? ;) Hee. i love chicken fried steak! Ooh. I'm gonna get me some in one week!!!

mis_nomer said...

Don't think I've ever been to Santa Fe. Am going to be in Texas next week though :) So I'll be sure to try your recommendation out.

I actually like the not-good cuts of steak..