Pencil Shavings

Sunday, May 28, 2006

On plugs and stuff

All the voltages and electric plugs in the world here.

The thing is, I remember frying my sister's US-made palm when she was in Singapore last, and I remember being so cock-sure about plugging it in only because I had plugged in Singapore-made appliances in US without any apparent problems. Am I correct? Is stepping down from 230V to 120V ok, but stepping up from 120V to 230V disastrous?

For Australia, a simple adapter is sufficient.

United Kingdom, Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand are our twin sisters.

Why does US and UK have to be so stubbornly different?

2 comments:

Paperman said...

Actually... stepping down is not good (for single voltage transformers)... bad for the transformer/appliance bcos it may not generate sufficient voltage and this could tax the moving parts...

US and UK use 110 bcos its safer and protects users from electric shocks... Slightly more exp. though cos it is less efficient...

Gwynne said...

And I know first hand that going from 110 to 220 is disastrous, even with an adapter. Must have a converter as well.