Pencil Shavings

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

A letter to the Singapore government

Dear Sir/ Madam,

Heeding the PM's call to the young to become more involved in the politics of the nation, I've sat down and thought about things, and come up with a list of things that matter to me.

My list of important things:

  1. Integrity
    Leaders must have integrity, character, and moral fibre, and under no circumstances, accept a bribe or place their greed above the people's interests.
  2. Compassion
    I expect a government that looks out for those who need more help -- the poor, the disadvantaged, the elderly, the uneducated, the people without a voice. I expect a government to keep the cost of basic amenities affordable to the poorest among us.
  3. Intelligience
    Erm, I mean, good intentions need to be backed up with smarts and sweat so things get done.
  4. A gracious society
    Ultimately, I want Singapore to be a decent place to grow up, live in, and grow old in. My Malaysian colleagues say that Singapore is a good place is make money, but not to grow old. That is very sad because I know what they mean.
  5. A place to belong

Well, that's my list so far. This is the first time I'm thinking this through so this list may change.

Yours sincerely,
Ms Nomer

Technorati tag:

No comments: