Pencil Shavings

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Free stuff I cannot do without -- Protopage

One.
Protopage.

I use protopage to keep me on the same page in between work and home. It is a nifty tool to keep links, lists, and what-nots, like a big online notice board with lots of sticky notes. This is a screenshot of my protopage. The sticky notes are retractable too: if you roll over the black tabs on the left, the content of the note appear.

protopage

Sometimes I am anal so all my sticky notes line up in a grid, but if you wanted to, you could overlap them to your hearts content, like this. Personally that would drive me nuts.

Protopage

They have weather widgets and email widgets too, but I don't care too much for either. In my opinion, even the calendar isn't up to scruff. For my calendar needs I use konfabulator, which will feature in "Free stuff I cannot do without, part II".

Protopage loads up quickly and seamlessly with firefox, even on a lousy dial-up connection. There are many preloaded colour schemes to choose from; you can load your pics from flickr in a sticky note or as the wallpaper, and choose what colour you want each sticky note to be.

The best part? It is as private as you want it to be. You can password protect it so that only you can view the page, or you could click on a little "lock" icon on the bottom right to make your page public. Just a piece of advice: remember to log out after you are done if you are on someone else's computer because it doesn't have a time-out function like yahoo or hotmail.

4 comments:

colinrt said...

hey... gave protopage a whirl after i saw your post... interesting... if only it had come earlier...

i have since built my own online menu-bar that i programed using java and html... it can be accessed anywhere as long as i have web access... and it contains all my oft-used links and such... i even incorporated search tools into it...

how they compare:
like protopage, i have several "pages" or in my case menus that i can choose from...

however, my menu-bar takes up a lot less space and it floats in the background if i don't need it...

the only thing is i don't have an RSS feed into a page with the latest news etc...

and i don't yet know how to create a password lock... :-(

mis_nomer said...

I hate to admit this, but I've seen your online menu-bar. It's pretty nifty, what with the cascading, collapsing links and all. But what a lot of work! :)

Couldn't help you with the password lock. Something with permissions? Do you host it yourself?

colinrt said...

lol... i knew i'd get caught out one day...

the first version was very different... it started out as a collection of links that i used often... but it's been evolving since the mid-90s - before they had css... i only upgraded it to full css about a year ago.. now it includes forms, etc...

the only thing is that it is not very easy to add things to... altho not impossible... i wish i could just click, drag and drop... sigh... the price i pay for being lazy...*warning! slick road... the irony runs thick here*... haha...

the initial bit of programming was tough, the other bits were easy cos it was merely incremental...

no... it's hosted by some free webhost... so no access to fancy stuff... but yeah... have to look hard to find some way of securing it... lolz...

mis_nomer said...

Since the mid-90s??? Wow. *awe*

I doubt you can secure it if it is hosted by a free webhost, unless they offer it as one of their features the way protopage does.

What a lot of work! But I suppose if you find tinkering with it fun... then, why not. :)