Pencil Shavings

Friday, May 05, 2006

I am...

... stupid.

Really. No kidding. At the interview at the restaurant yesterday where I was offered my first waitressing job, the boss said that I would be paid "Five five", and "Six" after I got trained. I heard it to mean I will get $550 a month, and it was only later while reading my book late at night when it hit me like a ton of bricks, "He meant $5.50 an hour!"

So my ngiao (cheapskate) brain quickly kicked in and punched up the numbers for a full day's work on Sunday: S$35. Minus cost of white long sleeve shirt ($15); minus opportunity cost of lazy Sunday afternoon = not really worth it leh!

So now I don't know whether I want to call them to say, "Erm, sorry I'm a stupid college grad who doesn't know anything about real life and so thought you were going to pay me $550 so I don't want to work anymore," or if I should say, "Erm, sorry I'm a stupid ditzy girl who had stupid romantic ideas about waitressing but I like my lazy Sunday afternoons too much and so I don't want to do it anymore."

Either way, I am stupid.

2 comments:

colinrt said...

you not stupid... just naive...

you were probably too sheltered growing up...

go for one day... at least you get a feel for what it could be like...

and then, you can tell the manager you changed your mind...

mis_nomer said...

Colin, I think I'll be too embarrassed to do one day just for the feel of it!

Brenda, no tips. We don't do tips here.