Pencil Shavings

Friday, May 26, 2006

Free stuff I cannot live without: Konfabulator

Except it is not called Konfabulator ever since Yahoo bought over it. It is now called "Yahoo! Widget Engine". Konfabulator rolls off the tongue so much better though, but thanks to Yahoo!, Yahoo! widget engine is almost exactly the same as Konfabulator (just with a few name changes) and it is FREE.

Why can't I live without this nifty programme? Because of a widget that pulls out my events and to do list from outlook and puts it on my desktop. This is a screenshot of my desktop.

shreenshot

This widget, formerly known as PIM overview, is my personal secretary. It reminds me of lunch appointments I've forgotten about, little things that I need to get done, and with one click of a button, tells me the schedule for tomorrow as well. I am atrocious about keeping track of what day and date it is, so by pressing F8 once, it brings all the widgets to the front, including my calendar widget.

There are as many widgets as there are personality types. Folks are constantly creating new widgets: you could get one for itunes, a werewolf monitor (that tracks the phases of the moon), the weather, a fancy wastepaper basket, all kinds of clocks, RSS news headlines, notepads, blogpads, and practically anything, really. What I would really like to see is a Chinese input widget, but unfortuantely, neither my programming nor my Chinese is good enough. :)

Have fun!

(Tip: To adjust the opacity of the widget, right-click the widget and select "widget preferences". I think translucent widgets are cool.)

4 comments:

smudgi3 said...

yeah! me like Konfabulator too! I have the calendar, Weather Tokyo, and a black kitty that moves randomly on my desktop. SO cool! I even play Sudoku sometimes.

mis_nomer said...

Can play sudoko too? Wow. Will check that out. I have Singapore weather, but it's redundant cos I can just look out of the window. :)

colinrt said...

i admire your drive to sniff out these widgets and protopages and stuff... they're mighty cool... unfortunately, the stupid firewall at the office prevents us from installing stuff... grr...

mis_nomer said...

Er.. actually I kinda just bump into these things. :)

It's a shame about the firewall. 'cos lots of these gadgets actually improve my productivity, such as MSN, protopage and konfabulator. I used to have to write on a memo pad, walk to my collegue and leave a message, now I just msn her who called and what's their telephone number, and save a branch or two of a tree in the process.

I have recently been put in charge of regulating these "illegal downloads" and I am so reluctant to do anything.