Pencil Shavings

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Coffee at the Wiener Kaffeehaus

Gustav Klimt's The Kiss

Just hearing the word `coffee' makes me smile. `Coffee' is to me as the bell is to Pavlov's dog. It excites, rejuvenates, and promises.

I had coffee at the newly established Wiener Kaffeehaus this past weekend. The coffeehouse is decorated in the art nouveau style, with a grand picture of Gustav Klimt's The Kiss (see above) on their walls.

For $3.50, I had their Einspaenner (single horse carriage). The Einspaenner is a Viennese blend coffee topped with whipped cream. And why is it called a single horse carriage? It is because it is served in a glass with large handle, since the horse handler needed one hand for the horse's bridle. The mug of slightly sourish coffee was served over a dolly, with cubes of sugar and a small glass of water.

We also had the Sachertorte, a chocolate cake. I was wondering why it tasted a little tangy, until I saw the orange seep from in between the chocolate. It is a good old-fashioned fairly dense cake, but the orange threw it a little off for me. In any case, cake is not my thing so don't take my word on this.

Quite a good experience, though the service could be a little less gruff. Granted they don't charge GST or a service charge, but the place is done up so nicely that the least you can do is smile and be polite.

But go and patronise. The owner had to apply for 20 permits from various authorities just to install the roaster in a restored shophouse. As Jamie Oliver puts it, "No wonder there isn't good coffee in Singapore!"

4 comments:

Titania said...

Looks good!

Gwynne said...

And sounds wonderful! I would love to try the coffee and the atmosphere sounds grand (Art Nouveau is a good thing).

mis_nomer said...

The setting is very nice. :) Though both of you will have to travel a long way to get to Neil Road, Singapore! :)

Anonymous said...

Hello, I am Veronica, wife of Anton Wiesmann, owner of the Wiener Kaffeehaus. I was pleasantly surprised to stumble upon this site. Our cafe has been opened for 6 weeks now and we are definitely fine tuning and trying to improve service levels everyday. So you could help me by explaining to me your gruff experience, by emailing to veronica@wienerkaffeehaus.com.sg. Finding good quality and responsiible service staff in Singapore is a huge challenge. Anton has always been a great supporter to help older folks, the retrenched, people with minor disabilities etc by employing them but that could also impact our service quality. Keeping a balance can be difficult and not everyone, unfortunately, appreciates that gesture. BTW, the tangy taste in the Sachertorte is Apricot and I hoped you enjoyed it. We will always want to serve great tasting traditional Austrian culinary and great coffee! Do keep in touch! Regards Vera