Pencil Shavings

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Bells and whistles

Nothing cheers me up better than adding bells and whistles to this site.

I've added a new Google search bar on the right (get the free code here). I use the search option in other people's sites all the time so I'm not sure why it took me so long to put one in when I've accumulated enough words here to write a mini-nonsense-thesis.

Which reminds me that I really ought to figure out how to back-up this site. When I first started blogging, my mantra was to reveal as little as I can about myself and to write as if I would lose everything tomorrow; but over time, I've inadvertently invested more and more of myself into this space, and I must admit that it would sting (a little) to lose everything.

But words are fleeting you know? Yet, the irony is, these words would outlive me.

8 comments:

Gwynne said...

Thanks! I've been wanting to add a search feature (for my own benefit...I'm fairly certain nobody else will ever use it) to my low, low-tech site and this may be just the ticket.

And yes, your words here will likely be here for eternity...I hadn't thought about that before, but as for my own words, that is a disturbing thought...yours are another matter. ;-)

mis_nomer said...

Oh yes, the search is more for me than for anyone else. :)

It is a disturbing thought to think that these words may float in cyberspace forever...

mis_nomer said...

I'll probably use the search on your site.. Was trying to search for that poster you did once and had to sift through your archives. :) And also another time when I wanted to find that book meme you did.

Canopy said...

Hey I just did a book meme...

Canopy said...

Hey I just did a book meme...

colinrt said...

i don't think there's an easy way to back up the site, except to copy each and every post that you've written and the accompanying comments that go with it... save it all in text format... and keep it offline in a thumbdrive or something...

don't forget to save the images and the template as well... and any other formatting files, eg *.css, that you may have created, or linked to...

Anonymous said...

If you ask the Admin, they might do it for you. As you know, my Server people crashed and many lost their recent entries so I asked how I could back my stuff up and they just emailed me everything I had upto that point, which is kinda handy but I guess I still don't know how to save the stuff I am writing now....

mis_nomer said...

I guess that's why I've been putting it off! :)