Pencil Shavings

Monday, October 16, 2006

The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, by Alexander McCall Smith


Elle, I gave Alexander McCall Smith another chance, and I'm sure glad I did.

I like this one a lot better than the first two I read by him. Compared to the pompous and eccentric academia in the von Igelfel series, Precious Ramotswe is a breath of fresh air. It is just so much more fun to read about characters you like.

She is everything a woman should be: warm-hearted, squeamish about snakes under the car, fat, sensible, smart, maternal, observant, brave. I want to be just like her! (Except maybe for the fat part.)

It is easy to read, yet through the traditional and lyrical story-telling, the heart of Africa shines through. McCall Smith brings to life the emptiness of the Kalahari, where lions roam and the sun beats down, the music of Botswana, dotted with acacia trees and thornbushes, goats and cattle, and the taste of edible Mopani worms.

It is a warm and light-hearted story, suitable for all ages.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Huh.

We're different. I couldn't get past chapter one.

mis_nomer said...

This is very interesting. So you actually prefer the von Igelfel series.. maybe this is too saccharine sweet?

Anonymous said...

Yes I do.

I wouldn't know if this seires is "saccharine sweet". I don't judge a book by its first chapter. What did I say that for?! Of course I judge books - but it stopped me from furthering beyond the initial chapter for a mundane enough reason. I found it very blah. Blah. Yes.

w. said...

I loved all the books in this series - very good for light reading when you're sick of a lot of other books.

I like the Isabel Dalhousie novels too, but for some reason can't seem to get through the scotland street series.