Pencil Shavings

Monday, October 09, 2006

I dream of bulldozers, do you?

On the way to work, I passed by the demolition of the temporary Newton Circus Food Centre. I saw this man in a digger machine hydraulic excavator scooping huge mental scraps into a large bin and crushing it with the back of the machine arm. He looked so little and frail inside the large and powerful machine, and at that moment, I wanted a bulldozer.

And then I thought, "What do you want a bulldozer for, smartypants?" And I retorted, "Well, I could demolish stuff." And somewhere simmering in the backside of my Monday morning brain was this quote by Henry David Thoreau:

“I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. I would rather ride on earth in an ox cart, with a free circulation, than go to heaven in the fancy car of an excursion train and breathe a malaria all the way. … But lo! men have become the tools of their tools.”

Sometimes we are so empowered by our tools that we forget that by ourselves, we are really frail, naked and blind.

In any case, folly disregarding, these are the ten tools I could not do without:

  1. Contact Lens/ Spectacles
    I would have fallen into a ditch and killed myself a long time ago without my glasses.

  2. A powerful computer with internet access
    Because how else will I work and play?

  3. A stove
    Hot food!

  4. A camera
    Because I don't trust my memory.

  5. Additional SD cards
    If you can't boost your brain, boost your devices.

  6. Running shoes
    I'm not entirely sure about this one. Some people espouse the shoe-less method of running as more natural and hence better for the body. Right now, I have a sore ITB and my running shoes are the only thing between my knees and the concrete.

  7. ATM card
    Because getting cash from the wall is so cool!

  8. Aeroplanes
    Can't be helped, my sister lives in the US.

  9. Nail Clipper or Scissors
    Self-explantory.

  10. A bulldozer
    :)
So that's my list.

2 comments:

mis_nomer said...

haha! I knew someone would know the real name of that machine! Thanks Eric!

I still want a bulldozer tho', just cos it sounds more romantic than `hydraulic excavator'. :)

mis_nomer said...

brenda, heh heh. want an SD card? they're cheap in singapore. ;)