Pencil Shavings

Monday, October 23, 2006

The fat and the skinny of the matter

Do you think chubby people are happier than skinny people?

Or perhaps people in the middling range are happier than the supremely fat or the supremely skinny?

When I was born, I was a fat, happy baby. My face was so round and chubby that my father wanted to name me "Yuan Yuan" ("Round Round" in English). Thank God for my maternal grandmother who told him that it was not a suitable name for a baby, and so I was called "beautiful grace" instead.

To be fat is to be happy, as far as my ah mah was concerned. And I was a fat and happy baby. The moment I woke up I would be smiling. I rarely fretted. Slowly though, the baby fat went away and I became a fairly skinny kid and my ah mah would fret about how skinny her grandchildren were getting. I remember wanting to be fat to please her, so once, when I noticed that my thighs looked especially fat while sitting on the toilet bowl, I ran out butt-naked to get her to come look at my fat thighs.

My ah mah passed away when I was 9 -- she was the first person I loved to pass away -- it was sad. The weeks following her death was the first time I learnt how to pretend to be strong in the day and cry alone in bed at night.

My paternal grandmother liked us fat too. When I came back from the US, the land of plenty, I put on a good 5 to 10 kg. When my po po saw me, she remarked (in Mandarin): "Your face is nice and round, like a moon!" Heh. I had to admit that my feelings were a little hurt by that comment though.

My po po lost quite a lot of weight the last few years she was alive, making her look frail and weak. She looked so light that I felt I could have easily lifted her up with my arms. It looked like she was fading away..

So, in spite of the health risks -- you know, heart attack, diabetes, etc., I prefer my parents slightly chubby than too skinny.

6 comments:

Jim Jannotti said...

I can't remember if I was a happy baby but in pictures I certainly looked hefty. For the rest of my life I've been thin enough that people sometimes ask if I'm sick. But I'm a pretty happy guy... except for when my computer crashes and my car leaves a trail of oil up and down the street. Then, not so happy.

mis_nomer said...

You know Jim, before I saw a real pic of you, I always imagined you fatter than you are. Interesting isn't it?

colinrt said...

happy harivalli, mn...

or was that deeparaya?!

mis_nomer said...

happy publiholiday TOT! :)

Canopy said...

I think fat people may not be happy because of the discrimination they face. Thinner people are probably happier unless they are thin because
-they diet a lot to remain thin
-they are ill
-they are too poor to get enough food.

mis_nomer said...

Ironically, I think poor people in developed countries are fat, perhaps because healthy food costs more than a burger, soda and fries. The fattest states in the US are also the poorest states. There was a conference in 2002 on this phenomenon.